Test 2 Passed!

weather

Major precipitation and/or shifts in temperature have almost always triggers a sinus headache in the past.  This time I had a little pressure and a slight headache, but nothing like I would have experienced in the past.  The other test was cleaning product fumes.  My nostrils were a little irritated, but no headache.  Yea!

Advertisements

I thought I was done…

Thought I was done last Thursday but apparently not.  The biggest pieces so far came out Saturday night.

This piece came out of my right nostril.  I couldn’t believe how big it was!

RightNostril

This piece came out of my left.  It was shorter but much thicker.

LeftNostril

The interesting thing is that at no point was my breathing impaired which shows me how much my nasal passages have been opened up.

Look What I Pulled Out of My Nose!

crunchyscab
It’s been a couple of weeks since the procedure so I thought I’d check in. There has been no pain whatsoever. I just felt a little irritation when I didn’t keep my nasal passages as moist as I should have with the saline spray.

The above picture is one of three large pieces of stuff I’ve pulled out of my nose in the last two weeks. I could feel something hard and crunchy in my nostril, but I couldn’t blow it out. I had to reach in with the tweezers. I did a saline rinse and used more of my prescription ointment to avoid infection. I’ve got one more in my right nostril, but I’ll have to wait until it works its way down some more before I attempt to pull it out.

I had one level 5 sinus headache when we had that surprise snow storm, but all I had to do was rinse out my nasal passages and blow it clear. No medicine required! There’s a possibility my sinuses were just irritated due to the extra dryness in the house from turning the heat up.

So Far, So Good

I still need to blow my nose, but only occasionally.  It’s weird because it feels like I’m slightly congested, but with no headache and no facial pressure and I’m pulling full breaths cleanly through my nostrils.  I’m assuming that once everything is completely healed I’ll no longer have even the slightly congested feeling.  I’ve decided to try a couple of little test.  First I had sweets with my morning coffee.  Normally, manufactured sweets are a sinus inflammation trigger for me.  No problems whatsoever.  Next I worked out!  I wanted to see if my breathing was affected positively.  I didn’t run out of breath even though I know I’ve still got mucous still blow out.  Now it’s just a matter of noting when I no longer see any trace of blood, when I can stop blowing my nose and if I experience any sinus pressure or pain in the coming weeks.  Please feel free to email me with any questions you have!

More Mucous!!!

So it’s the next morning and I’m still constantly blowing my nose.  The mucous is now just pink with specks of dried brown blood.  No bright spots of blood, but the insides of my nostrils are crusted over with dried blood.  Even though I’m a little apprehensive about touching the inside of my nostrils, I cleaned up the parts clearly visible.  I’ll be out in public and people look at you funny when you’ve got a bloody nose and you’re not doing anything about it.

All last night it seemed my mucous membranes were sensitive to temperature.  We had to keep the temperature in the room up, or I would have to wipe my nose every ten minutes.

I grossed DeMarcus out on the train.  I forgot the sound of rattling snot bothers him (heh heh heh).  I had a crestfallen moment when I felt the beginnings of a sinus headache, but I blew I nose and it went away.  No medication.  I think it’s because we were on the train and I couldn’t do my moisturizing spray rinse.

2013-03-18 16.20.10

I wasn’t in any pain, but I kept having to (gently) blow my nose.  I found out why I wasn’t bleeding very much.  The blood was all clumped together in chunks because of my earlier congestion.  I had to blow my nose every, freaking, ten minutes.  I guess with nothing to block it, the mucous just keeps coming!  Even after rinsing with the saline spray (a spectacularly gross display), I was a mucous fountain!  In a way that shows just how much I normally would have had sitting around my sinuses and causing me pain from the congestion.  Also, I could also still smell coblation wand gel burn odor.

My only real discomfort was the sides of my nose feeling raw from wiping it so much.  I didn’t pack any oil-type moisturizers, just lotion (which I knew would burn) and a cortisone cream for skin allergies.  I settled for the cortisone which helped a little bit.

And surprise!  DeMarcus (my husband) ordered a pizza from Giordano’s while he was out picking up my prescriptions.  It was totally delicious .

Mucous!!!

Aftercare

TheSnoreCenterWaitingRoomWindow

The nurse advised me the key to a good recovery was keeping my nasal passages moist.  I had to take hot steamy showers twice a day for the next couple of days and use a saline spray (over-the-counter).  I got the following prescriptions:

  • Azithromycin 250 mg 6-pack (AKA Z Pack)-This is an antibiotic.  I had to take two tablets immediately and then 1 a day for the next four days.
  • Prednisone 20mg-This is an anti-inflammatory.  Two tablets a day for four days
  • Mupirocin 2% ointment-I think this is a topical antibiotic.  I need to apply it twice a day for ten days.  I didn’t have any q-tips so I had to twist a piece of tissue to use as an applicator.